Homecare FAQs

For all other questions and/or concerns, call SEIU’s MRC at (866) 933- 7348 #3

Questions about:

DORS Homecare

  • Who is my employer?

    The customer is your employer. The customer-employer is in charge of hiring and firing. Your tasks will be delegated by the customer-employer from the DHS Service Plan which is an official document created by the customer employer and DRS Counselor. If you did not get a copy of the customer’s service plan, you must request one from the DHS-DRS Care Coordinator or the Managed Care Organization.

  • How often will I be paid?

    You will be paid bi-monthly—twice per month. Pay dates vary so refer to the Individual Provider Payroll Schedule (Handout #7) for exact dates. For example, what you work during July 1–15th shall be paid on or about August 5; what you work July 16–31st shall be paid on or about August 20. Make sure all required paperwork has been turned in and processed and your Time Sheet is submitted on time and accurately completed. IPs should receive payment via their Illinois Debit MasterCard®, direct deposit or paper check on the designated day.

  • What do I need to do in order to be paid?

    IPs must call into the EVV system from the Customer’s telephone at the beginning and end of the visit to report hours worked. IPs must write down the exact time form the EVV call on the paper HSP Timesheet (Handout #4). IPs should submit timesheet up to 5 State workdays after the last day of the Pay Period. Make sure the timesheet is completed accurately as listed in Handout 4 and is signed by both you and your customer.

  • Where & How do I submit my timesheets?

    IPs can submit Time Sheet two ways: 1) Mail to your local DRS office, or 2) Drop-off in person to your local DRS Office.

  • Do I qualify for unemployment?

    An IP is eligible for unemployment like any other worker—this means you have to have lost your job through no fault of your own; for example, the customer-employer no longer needs your services. All IP unemployment insurance benefits and earnings follow the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) guidelines.

  • How do I know if I qualify for Health Insurance?

    Eligibility is based upon the number of hours that are reported to the union’s Health & Benefit Fund by the state. In order to become eligible, an IP must work on average 120 hours or more per month for three consecutive months for the customer-employer. After becoming eligible, IPs will continue to be eligible if they work an average of 60 hours per month (See Handout A2). In order to know how many hours have been reported, contact SEIU Health Fund at 773-385-9300 or toll free at 877-734-8543.

  • How can I get involved in my Union?

    Call the Member Resources Center (MRC) at 1-866-933-7348. If you have questions about your job, about benefits, about upcoming events and classes you can get information from the MRC.

  • If I am looking for a job references for another job, who can be a reference for me?

    Your employer—the customer—can be your reference.

  • How can an IP request an Employment Verification?

    Individual Providers may obtain employment verifications from the State of Illinois. The information is limited but includes: the gross earning for each pay period for the requested time frame, the hourly rate of pay, total wages earned for the past twelve months, social security number, address, city, state and zip code. All request for employment verifications must be requested in writing. The local office will provide direction on where the request must be faxed or mailed.

  • What is the difference between the SEIU HCII & SEIU METC?

    SEIU (Service Employees International Union) Healthcare IIMK is a union for service employees who work in Childcare, Nursing Homes, Hospitals, and Home Healthcare. SEIU METC (Member Education and Training Center) is a nonprofit organization founded in 2007 to provide training to workers in the healthcare and child care industries. Understanding Job Requirements, Timecards and Helping Caregivers Fight Fraud, Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation

  • How soon will I be paid for attending my Mandatory IP Training?

    To be paid within 21 business days after the class date, IPs need to submit paperwork to receive a direct deposit payment. Otherwise, you will be paid by check and will receive payment within 8 weeks after the class date.

  • Who can I contact to resolve a paycheck dispute?

    A PA has three options:

    • To find out when your time sheet was processed and when your pay is being issued, you can contact the automated DHS number: at 1-800-804-3833 (V) or 1-877-434-1082 (TTY).
    • You can contact your local DHS-DRS office to see if you’re able to resolve your paycheck dispute on your own.
    • You can also contact the Union’s Member Resource Center at 866-933-7348 to take action on your pay check issue.
  • What are Centers for Independent Living?

    A Center for Independent Living, or CIL, is “a non-residential, community based organization, directed and managed by persons with disabilities, which is dedicated to the philosophy that all people with disabilities have the right and the responsibility to make choices to control the direction of their lives and participate fully and equally in their communities.” (

  • What happens if I get hurt at the consumer-employer’s home?

    IP’s have the right to Workers Compensation. However, you must first report the injury to your local DHS -DRS office and fill out the Work Injury Report. If you have trouble with this, contact the Union’s Member Resource Center at 866-933-7348.

  • How can I receive a duplicate W-2 if the original document is lost/stolen/damaged?

    Duplicate 2016 W-2 documents can be requested from the HSP Central Office beginning February 15, 2017.

    ALL REQUESTS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING, preferably using the HSP Duplicate W-2 Request Form.

    A request can be obtained from your DRS local office. Also, IPs can mail a request to HSP Central Office Labor Relations Unit, 100 S. Grand Avenue East, Springfield, IL 62762 and/or fax a request to 217-557-9434 or 217-557-1042.

    All requests must include the IPs name, 9-digit Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address and signature. Also, duplicate W-2 cannot be emailed or faxed to IPs. A replacement duplicate W-2 is sent directly from the Illinois Comptroller’s Office (IOC) and turnaround/processing time may take up to two weeks and will be sent back to the requestor via mail only.

  • How to ensure that the State database has your correct address, phone number and email?

    If an IP has moved, you should complete an updated W-4 with your new address. This will help ensure that you receive important communication from the State of Illinois. To ensure timely receipt of your W-2, you should file any address change or update before December 1.